1. Effects of topping trees on microclimate condition and human comfort. Dr. Francesco Ferrini, University of Florence, Italy. Grant award $10,000.
2. Investigating street tree decline and mortality in commercial urban spaces, revitalized with structural soil cell technoloy to improve planting and maintenance practices. Dr. Camilo Ordonez, Ryerson University, Toronoto. Grant award $10,069.
1. Quantifying the cooling effectiveness of urban street trees in relation to their growth. Mohammad Asrafur Rahman, University of Munich, Germany. Grant award $10,000.
2. The role of tree species in cooling the urban climate - application in tree planting and landscape architecture. Henrik Sjoman, Sweden University of Agricultural Science Gothenburg. Grant award $10,000.
1. Screening of actinobacteria for activities that protect trees against bacterial and fungal diseases. Oleksandr Gromyko, Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, Ukraine. Grant award $10,000
2. Effect of root-stimulating treatments on physiologic and growth performances of Platanus x acerifolia and Ulmus pumila seedlings. Manuela Baietto, University of Milan, Department of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences - Production, Land, Agroenergy, Italy. Grant award $5,500
3. Development of molecular markers for redbay (Persea borbonia L.). Haiying Liang, Clemson University, South Carolina. Grant award $10,000.
1. Impact of Storm Water Runoff on Tree Roots, Physiology and Rhizosphere Microbial Diversity in Urban Forests. Sougata Bardhan, University of Missouri. Grant Award $10,000.
2. Determining Influences of Stream Channelization and Invasive Species on Rate of Canopy Tree Growth in an Urban Park. Travis Marsico, Arkansas State University. Grant Award $6,284.
1. Effects of Root Severance by Excavation on Growth, Physiology and Up Rooting Resistance of Two Urban Tree Specie. Alessio Fini, University of Florence, Italy. Grant Award $10,000.
2. Effects of Pruning on the Dynamic Motion of Tree Crown. Matt Follett, University of Quebec, Montreal, Quebec. Grant Award $10,000.
1. A Novel Way of Measuring Tree Vitality in Mature Urban Trees. Denise Johnstone, University of Melbourne, Australia. Grant Awarded $8,600.
2. Strategies to Resolve Conflicts Between Trees and New Low Impact Development Stormwater Best Management Practices. Susan Day, Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Blacksbury VA. Grant Awarded $10,000.